My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nallair (Coconut) Thokku with Idiyappam.

We usually have idiyappam with coconut milk, stew or a spicy curry. But my granny prepares a sweet dish with coconut that goes extremely well with idiyappam. Whenever I visit my granny's place in salem she ensures that it is prepared for me atleast once. Usually we have Sweet Idiyappam for breakfast along with Lemon Sevai (Spicy Idiyappam prepared with lemon, just like how we prepare lemon rice), just to strike a balance. I would vote for this over coconut milk because we don't discard the coconut waste in this and hence you get the complete nutrients out ot it. Ingredients
  • Shredded Coconut - 2 cup (Nallair Thurugaitha)
  • Ghee - 2 tbsp (Thoup)
  • Jaggery - 1 cup + 2 tbsp (Gullu)
  • Water - 1 cup (pani)
  • Cardamon Powder - 1/4 tsp (ellakai burugo)

Optional:

  • Pachai Karpuram - pinch
  • Food color - pinch
  • Raisins & Cashews - 2 tbsp (sukkai dratchai, mundiri)
Method
  • Shred the coconut in the blender or using a coconut grater. Finer the better. You will need atleast 1/2 coconut for this recipe. I prefer to use fresh coconut, instead you can use frozen shredded coconut that is available in the Indian stores.
  • In a pan, add 1tbsp ghee and slighly fry the coconut for a minute. Set it aside. Add another 1 tsp of ghee and fry the raisins and cashews. Set it aside.
  • Add 1 cup of water in a pan and bring it to boil. Add jaggery and let it dissolve.
  • Add any of the food color (Orange, Pink, Yellow).
  • Before the mixture comes to a single thread consistency add the shredded coconut. Add the remaining ghee, mix it well and cook for few minutes.
  • When it starts thickening, add cardamon powder, pachai karpuram and remove it from flame.
  • Add raisins, cashew and mix it well.
  • Serve it hot with idiyampam. I bought the instant rice sevai from the store here. You can also prepare the idiyappam at home.

1 comments:

deeps said...

this is definitely a new different combination..!! sweet lovers like me will love it the most....

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)