My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Green Rice with Green Raitha


I was telling my Mother in law that I had lots of Pudhina/Mint at home and asked her if she would suggest me some recipes. So today's post is from my in-law's kitchen. She suggested me two recipes Pudhina Rice and Pudhina thogayal. I am posting one of them. I was bored to call it as conventional pudhina rice or sadam. So I am gonna call this dish as Green rice. Don't get misleaded with Green Raitha and I did not use any green leaves, I just used green cucumber which gave raitha a light green texture.

Ingredients

Onion (Medium) - 1
Tomato (small) - 3/4
Green Chili - 4
Cloves - 8
Cinammon - 2
Bay leaves - 2
Cardamon - 1
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 8- 10 tbsp
Salt to taste
Rice (Basmati) - 2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Pudhina - few
Water

To grind

Pudhina/Mint - 2cup
Coriander leaves - 1 cup
Green Chili - 2 - 4 (according to taste)

Raitha

Yogurt/Curd - 1 cup
Cucumber - 1/2 grated
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves/Cilantro to garnish

Method
  • Grind pudhina , cilantro/coriander leaves and green chilis to a smooth paste.
  • In a pressure cooker, add oil, cumin seeds, cloves, cinammon, bay leaves and cardamon.
  • Then add green chili, onion and saute.
  • Add tomato, salt and fry it for a while. Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry for couple of minutes. Now add some pudhina/mint leaves.
  • Then add the paste and fry it for a while. Before adding, measure the ground mix as the water needs to be added accordingly. Say if the paste measures to 1/2 cup, then we should use only 1 3/4 cup of water for boiling rice.
  • When the oil oozes out, add rice and then water. Check if salt and spice is ok. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Open the lid after the steam is released.
  • Serve it with raitha.
Raitha

Method:

Add grated cucumber, salt , green chili and yogurt/curd. Mix it well until the lumps disappear. Serve.