My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mangodae (Mung bean Fritters)


One of my colleague brought some vada like stuff during lunch. She said it is a Bhopal specialty and they call this golden mung bean fritters as Mangodae. It tasted so great that I was tempted to pick up the recipe from her. Many thanks to my colleague and her mom for sharing such a wonderful recipe with me.


Ingredients from my pantry:


Moong dhal / Pachai payiru / Moong bean - 3/4 cup
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - 1 cm
Red Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Green Chili - 2 - 4 (depends on how spicy you want it to be)
Salt to taste
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Coriander / Cilantro leaves chopped - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida - sprinkle



Cooking Instructions

Soaking & Grinding:

Soak moong dhal overnight. It is good to grind when the skin peels off from moong.
In a blender coarsely grind moong dhal without adding water.

In a bowl, add the moong dhal batter, finely chopped or grated ginger, pepper powder, chili powder, finely chopped green chili, salt, cumin seeds, garam masala and mix it well. Leave the batter to ferment for an hour.



Frying

Heat oil in a kadai (you will need 2 cup of oil for small kadai).
Take a spoon full of moong dhal batter and drop it in the oil just like you would do for frying appam or vadas.
Flip it when the bottom is cooked, repeat flipping until it turns golden brown. When the crackling noise of the oil reduces remove and put it on the kitchen towel or napkin for the excess oil to get absorbed. You can fry 4-5 mangoodae's in each batch.


Serving
Serve it with Tomato ketchup or Green(mint/coriander) chutney.



Thanks to Sonal for suggesting me to add fennel seeds, cilantro and asafoetida for an authentic bhopalwala taste.



I would like to submit this bhopal delicacy to My Legume affair event hosted by Sia and Susan




MLLA15Logo375

6 comments:

Vijitha said...

Yummy post!
First time here.

Sonal said...

hmmm this just reminds me of my college days.. cup of tea with a plate of spicy mangodey and gossiping with friends :)

Sonal said...

hey radhika add fennel seeds, chopped coriander, pinch of asafetida and leave the batter for 1 hr for that authentic Bhopalwala taste :)

Sonal said...

hey thanks radhika :D

Suma said...

Oh delicious!! Must try this out!!

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Thanks Suma, please do let me know how it comes out.

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)