My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring Onion Egg Fry/Poriyal

Spring onions are predominantly used in Chinese recipes. I have never heard about spring onions in poriyal before my Aunt prepared it for me. It tasted so good that I asked my amma to learn this recipe. Then on I have had it many times. Spring onion is rich in fibers, low in fats and cholesterol and it helps in losing weight. This dish can be prepared in jiffy and served with rotis, rice and sambar/rasam . Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • Spring Onions - 2 bunch
  • Egg (Jumbo size) - 1
  • Oil - 3 tbsp
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Chili Powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
Method
  • Wash the spring onions thoroughly in warm water. Chop the roots and discard it. Amma says that we shouldn't discard the onions in the bottom as they are equally nutritive. I use it as a replacement for the regular onions in this preparation.
  • Chop the spring onions.
  • Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
  • Now add the chopped onions that we obtain from the spring onion.
  • Fry it for a minute and then add the chopped spring onions.
  • Add salt, chili powder and saute.
  • Add eggs and fry it for 4-5 minutes until it gets in to bhurji consistency. Add oil as you fry. It prevents the egg from sticking to the pan.
  • Remove from flame.
  • Yummy Yummy spring onion egg fry is ready to serve.
I would like to send this recipe to Sudeeshna's Blog Birthday event on Eggs. Happy Blog Birthday Sudeeshna.