My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 31, 2008

Badusha

This diwali is really a special one in my life as it is our first diwali after marriage(thalai deepavali in tamil). The sad thing is we are miles away from our parents and relatives. So it is only between two of us. I didn't want my hubby to miss the special things that he could get on diwali day and so I decided to prepare his favorite sweets n savories.
I also made his favorite Chicken Curry, chicken fry as its our custom to serve non-veg on this day. On the second day of diwali we went to the Flushing(New york) Ganesha temple which is 3 blocks away from my apartment. The urchavars were beautifully decorated with lots of ornaments and flowers. We thoroughly enjoyed our diwali though we missed our parents.




My Diwali Menu : Badusha, Milk Burfi, Coconut Macaroons, Seedai, Muruku.


A perfect badusha is the one that melts in your mouth and it cannot be achieved without using Ghee. For the same reason I like the badushas made in my native place (Salem). I used ghee while preparing dough but I got 90% satisfaction only as I used Oil to fry them. Badushas will taste much better when fried in Ghee. Also, my neighbour told me that we can replace water with curd/yogurt that makes the dough more softer. I should try that next time.



Ingredients
  • Maida (All purpose flour) - 2 cup
  • Ghee - 1 cup
  • Baking Soda - 1 pinch
  • Salt - 1 pinch
  • Water
Sugar Syrup
  • Sugar - 2 3/4 cup (for mild sweet)
  • Water - 1 3/4 cup
  • Cardamon powder - 2 pinch
Method
Sugar Syrup
  • Add water, sugar and bring it to boil until you get the one thread consistency. Add cardamon powder and Stir it well and then remove from flame.
Dough
  • Meanwhile, add maida, baking soda and salt. Mix it well. Add ghee, mix well and then add enough water and knead it to a soft dough. I added around 1 cup of water gradually. Let the dough be set aside for 30 minutes.
  • Now divide the dough in equal portions. Make a small ball just like you will do for chappatti's. Ensuring that there are no cracks, flatten it in your palm like a patty and press in the centre. I am not sure why we do this, but If I am right this will help the centre portion of the badusha to cook easily.
  • Heat oil in a kadai, do not over heat the oil. Fry badushas in a low flame until it turns golden brown. Place them on a napkin/kitchen towel and drain the excess oil.
  • Add badushas in the sugar syrup. You can let it soak for 8 hrs or overnight. This helps the sugar syrup to be absorbed evenly into the badushas. Me and my hubby were able to find a significant difference between the badusha soaked for 30 minutes to that soaked overnight. The later tasted better.

Enjoy this recipe and do let me know your comments.