My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Coconut Macaroons

I always wonder what Americans eat apart from Burger, bread and grilled meat. This curiosity of mine made me to pick up a book on American Regional Cooking from the library here. At last I knew what cooks in their kitchen. Their cuisine is as diversified as India though I would not call it tasty. My taste buds are so Indian that I couldn't enjoy the food here. But I love the cookies, muffins, tarts and cakes that bakes in their kitchen. On the occasion of Diwali I decided to go American and picked up the Coconut Macaroons recipe as it required minimum ingredients that was already available in my kitchen.
When I tasted the final product it tasted like a distant cousin of coconut(thenga) biscuit that we usually get in India. My husband liked it so much that he almost finished everything.
Here goes the recipe.. Ingredients
  • All purpose flour / Maida - 1/3 cup
  • Salt - Pinch
  • Dry Unsweetened Shredded Coconut - 3 cups
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk - 3/4 cup
  • Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Method
  • In a bowl mix flour and salt and then add coconut. (You can also sift the flour and salt first and then add coconut. )
  • Pour in the condensed milk.
  • Add vanilla extract and stir from the center to make a very thick batter. (I added around 5-6 tbsp of water and 3 tbsp of condensed milk as my batter was very dry.)
  • Grease the cookie sheet with butter/ghee. Drop heaped tablespoonful of batter on the sheet. (I did not have a cookie sheet so I used the muffin pan and loaf pan.) I shaped them to look like flower pot cracker.
  • Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake Macaroons until golden brown or 20 minutes which ever is earlier. Let it cool and remove the tray. Coconut Macaroons are ready to be served. (I baked it for 20 minutes and the bottom part of the cookie went dark brown. So check on regular intervals until its baked)
I would like to send this to "Satisfy your sweet tooth" Blog event hosted by Sudeshna. My very first participation since I started blogging. Looking forward to hear your comments.
This recipe is taken from the book "American Regional Cooking" written by Carole Clements, Laura Washburn & Patricia Lousada and it solely belongs to them.

1 comments:

Andhra Flavors said...

Interesting recipe. Collect your award from my blog.

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)