My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Spicy-Tangy Sweet Corn


There are very few eat outs in Chennai where I always love to visit. One of the them is the corn shop in front of the Spencers Daily supermarket. 2 years ago a whole sweet corn used to cost Rs.12 and a cup corn used to cost Rs.15. There were days when we walked almost 15-20 minutes to grab this one in between our work schedules. :-)) What is so special about them, answer is pretty simple. They taste YUMMY. 
Since we have moved to the Garden State, I have the privilege to buy the fresh produce from the farm stands or pick your own farms. Recently I picked up some fresh corns from a farm stand near my work place.Amma says that a corn will taste good when its texture is close to pale yellow. The one I picked up was very much pale. So here I present this delicacy from my kitchen. Hope you enjoy it. 




American Sweet Corn /Makka cholam  - 2
Lemon Juice /Elumicha pala saru / limbu pallo   - 2 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder /Milagai thul/Miri bhuruko - 1/2 tsp
Chat masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste /Uppu / Meet
Butter /Vennai - 1 tsp 


In a pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. The corn must be half soaked with water. 


Meanwhile melt butter either in a microwave or put it in a bowl and place the bowl on the tawa. Add red chili powder, chat masala, salt, lemon juice and mix. 


Once the steam releases, open the lid. Carefully remove the corn using a tong and place it on a plate or aluminium foil


Take the mix and spread it on the corn using your fingers or a cooking brush. I used my fingers. (Caution: The corn might be hot)


Wrap it with the aluminium foil and serve. This is perfect for a evening snack and it is healthy too.

11 comments:

Nithya said...

Yummmmmmmmmm.. I would really love to have it in this rainy climate. :)

Pari Vasisht said...

This is an all time favorite and best to eat after rain showers.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow am drooling rite now here, feel like grabbing..

Indian Khana said...

Ummm oh I love these too...just yummy

Deepti said...

it looks yummy...do visit my blog,there is an award for u.
http://dipskitchen.blogspot.com

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

@Deepti, Many thanks for sending the award

and Thank you all for the wonderful comments.

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Looks yummy.

my kitchen said...

My hubby's all time favorite snack,looks nice.you can visit my blog,view all my recipes & post ur comments

Mansi said...

My all time favourite...yummy!

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Thanks gals..

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Yummy Yummy... My mum always makes this whenever we pick fresh corn from the market :)

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)