My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 18, 2009

A revisit to Chicken liver Pepper Fry





We decided to spend the labor day weekend at home as we were travelling to Kansas city the following weekend. Since we were home, I decided to cook an extravagant meal for my darling husband. The meal included chicken soup, biriyani, plain rice, chicken curry and my all time favorite chicken liver pepper fry. Many of us don't prefer to add the gizmos of Chicken or goat like liver, heart and lungs in our curry or fry preparations. These teeny-weenies are high in nutrients. Chicken liver is considered to be low in sodium. It is also a good source of Proteins, Vitamins (A, C, B6, B12), Minerals like copper, zinc etc., On the other side, both goat and chicken liver are high in cholesterol. 100 gm of chicken liver could have around 563 mg of cholesterol. Better avoid them if you have high cholesterol. 

I bumped into an interesting fact when I was googling about these gizmos(livers). As per a study and chinese medical belief, the goat liver is used as a remedy for Night blindness. Also, since they are rich in Vitamin B, Iron and Vitamin A pregnant women are asked to eat liver to avoid birth defects,  prevent anemia and for normal fetal growth respectively. Though it is good for the expecting Mom, they are still advised not to consume in large quantities. As too much of Vitamin A could cause some birth defects too.


You can prepare a number of dish with these gizmos. I love to add them in curry, biriyani or fry preparations. You can also exclusively prepare dishes like chicken/goat liver fry or chicken/goat liver pepper fry. I usually like the way my granny pepares the chicken/goat liver pepper fry. They are simply awesome and it goes well with rice, rotis and especially a good side for rasam. You can find the recipe of chicken liver pepper fry in one of my previous post. Recently when I was talking to my Mom she said that my dear granny doesn't add tomatoes and cumin powder in her preparation. So please avoid tomatoes and cumin powder in my recipe and use shallots/pearl onions for the authentic taste. 


I would like to submit this to 'Food for 7 stages of life - Pregnancy', my debut blog event co-hosted with Sudeshna of Cook like a bong

2 comments:

Aruna Manikandan said...

Hi Radhika,

I am pleased to share this award with you. Please collect it from my blog http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-first-award_21.html

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

@Aruna Thanks for sharing this award. :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)