I feel nostaligic when I think about the Chicken or Mutton Liver fry. My maternal granny used to prepare this whenever we visited her. I shall say that my Mom n myself inherited our cooking skills from my darling granny. The recipe that I am posting today is one of my favorites and it tastes great with hot rice, rotis and as a perfect side dish with Rasam. It has a heavenly taste inspite of requiring minimal ingredients. Veggies can replace Chicken with Mushroom to make a yummy Mushroom Pepper fry. I have tried doing this using button mushrooms and it tasted awesome.
- Chicken Liver - 1 lb (around 450 grams)
- Shallots / Pearl Onions (chopped finely) - 4
- Tomato (chopped finely) - 1/2 (optional)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Chili Powder - 1 - 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
- Cumin Seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cilantro / Coriander leaves - for garnishing
flavour to this spicy dish.
- Wash Chicken Liver. Add turmeric powder and soak it for couple of minutes. This helps to sanitize the chicken. You can also add vinegar. Drain the water and leave them on a kitchen towel.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan, when it is hot add cumin seeds and fry it for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute it for a while.
- Add turmeric powder and let it blend with the onions.
- Before it turns golden brown add the chopped tomatoes and toss them for a minute or until it softens. [optional]
- Sprinkling salt at this stage helps the dish to cook fast.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste and mix it well until the raw smell disappears. (It is very important to do this to have a great flavor in your dish. This is applicable for any dish that uses ginger garlic paste.)
- This would take a minute or so and then add chicken liver cut in small cubes (3 x 3 cm). Mix and toss it until the color changes (2 minutes approximately).
- Add chili powder, pepper powder, cumin powder(optional), salt. Mix it with the chicken liver.
- Add 4 tbsp of water and let it cook until the water evaporates.
- Keep tossing until you see the oil leaving the pan (in small amount).
- Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves & serve it with hot rice.
Dear Grandma does not use tomato or cumin powder in her preparation. So avoid those two ingredients for an authentic grandma recipe.
Add or reduce pepper powder according to your taste buds. Using freshly ground ginger garlic paste, pepper and cumin powder adds to it taste. You can also use Mutton liver instead of Chicken liver. I have also added chicken heart and lungs to my dish as the box which I bought had all of them.