My hubby likes pineapple in any form. I thought I should try this recipe myself and delight him. I didn't know where to start and had no clue about its ingredients. All I remembered was the pineapple flavor. I thought I should give it a shot. My first two attempts didn't impress me much though my hubby liked it :-) So this time I decided that I should get it right. Atlast I succeeded in making a Hot n Sweet Pineapple rice. Though its a different version from what I had, we enjoyed it thoroughly. I hope you too enjoy this...
- Pineapple (Cut it in small cubes) - 3/4 cup
- Pineapple Juice - 8 tbsp
- Medium sized Onion (Sliced) - 1/2
- Green chilli - 3 for Spicy / 2 for Medium Spice / 1 for Mild Spice
- Turmeric Powder - 1 pinch
- Garam Masala - 1/8 tsp [optional]
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 (small in size)
- Cumin seeds - 1/8 tsp
- Basmati Rice (90% Cooked) - 1 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 3/4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro leaves (chopped) - 1/2 tsp
- Badam (Sliced) - 2
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet 0n a Medium flame. Add cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick. Fry it for 15-20 seconds.
- Add half portion of cut onions and fry it until golden brown.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Add green chillies and pineapple pieces. Fry it for 30-40 seconds. Now add the pineapple juice and mix it well. I prepared the juice at home.
- After 30 seconds, add garam masala and salt. Mix it and the sauce is ready.
- Now add rice and mix it with the sauce on a low flame ensuring that rice does not stick to the pan. Also take care not to break the rice while mixing. Remove it from flame.
- In another kadai, add 1/4 cup of oil. After 1 minute add the other portion of onion and fry it until golden brown. Add it to the pineapple rice and mix it well. You can keep a part of it for garnishing. Fried onions gives a great flavor to the rice.
- Garnish it with cilantro leaves and badam slices.
- Cut pineapple into small cubes ( 2 x 2 cm). Smaller the better as it blends well with the rice.
- You can even replace the whole garam masalas with 1/2 tsp each of urad dhal and channa dhal. It gives a different flavor alltogether.
Use home made pineapple juice.