My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Pineapple Sadam / Annachi pazha Sadam


I am so obsessed with Pineapple Rice that I came up with another recipe. You can find my previous version of Pineapple Rice here. This one is pretty much close to what I had in my cousin's wedding. Hope you relish it as I did :)

Ingredients from my Pantry
Basmati Rice - 1 cup (You can also use Sona Masori/Raw/Boiled Rice)
Pineapple chopped - 1 cup ( 1 x 1.5 cm) , you might need 3 round slices for 1 cup (peel the skin and remove the thorn like stuff)
Onion - 1 1/2 tbsp chopped or 1/4 of a small onion
Green Chili - 5
Ginger/Inji - 1/2 tsp chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu - pinch
Cumin Seeds/Jeera/Jeeragam - pinch
Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam - pinch
Turmeric Powder/Manjal Podi - 3 pinch
Curry Leaves/Karuveipilai/Karuveipaku - 4

Cooking Instructions
Cook Rice:
Boil the rice in a rice cooker/pressure cooker until it is 90% done (usually 2 or 3 whistles in a pressure cooker). You will need 1 - 1 1/4 cup of water to cook the rice.
or
You can also add 8-10 cup of water, add rice and boil it until it is 90% cooked. Drain the water using a strainer/sieve/conventional method. 
Pineapple mix: 

In a pan, add oil. When it hot, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves, green chili, turmeric powder and saute for few seconds. 

Add chopped onions and saute for 2 minutes on a medium flame. 
Add pineapple, 1 tbsp of water and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame. Crush the pineapple slightly as you cook. 
P.S: Reduce green chili's if it is prepared for kids or if you want the dish to be mildly spiced.
Mixing it with Rice:

Add atleast 2 cup of boiled rice and mix it with the sauce (Just like how you make lemon rice or puliyogare)
Let it stay for a while and then serve. This allows the rice to absorb the flavor of pineapple.

I thought this recipe would be perfect for these events:

16 comments:

Aruna Manikandan said...

Hi Radhika,

Pineapple rice looks yummy......
Kindly pick up the award from my blog dear

with luv,
ArunaManikandan

Priya Suresh said...

Pineapple rice looks delectable, never tried yet rice with pineapples...

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Thanks Priya, I think you will love this...
@ Aruna Thanks for the lovely award.

ann low said...

Only tried Thai pineapple rice before but yours look so delicious too.

Sh... said...

Sweet and simple. Wonderful step by step clicks. Great recipe. Something new too. Sure to try this!!

Sanghi said...

Wow.. yummy delicious recipe..! If you wish send this to my FIL-Fruits event dear!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey,
This is new. Looks great and I am sure must taste great.

Spice said...

All right....I have some leftover rice from yesterday....also have some pineapple left from my last cake bake....yet to cook lunch also... so let me use your recipe as an inspiration....

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Thank you all.

@Spice, let me know how it comes out...

Sushma Mallya said...

That looks really nice and an interesting rice with pineapples...looks delicious with beautiful clicks ...

my kitchen said...

Simple & yummy one,will try soon

cookeaze said...

Wow this looks incredible!I had a great time reading this post and thanks for sharing the talent.

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Thank you Sushma, My Kitchen and Cookeaze

Unknown said...

Radhika
This surely is an interesting recipe. I love pineapple in all form, will try with brown rice some time and let you know how it turns out.

Dori said...

Yum, isn't pineapple the best! Nice entry :)

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

yeah Meeso, I love this fruit.

Post a Comment

Thanks a million! It feels so good to see your comments in my Inbox :) Please feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions in your mind. I will respond to you as soon as possible, if I don't then please be assured that I will still respond to you but it might take a couple of days more :)