My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foodfor7stagesoflife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Asparagus Usili

Does a Woman hate to shop for Clothes? I did. Every time I visited the store I had to look for a bigger size. I hated to try those pants that didn't fit. I had to let go those cute dresses because they stopped looking good on me. Hope you understand the kind of frustration and disappointment. TH doesn't like me to feel disappointed. He gets upset so easily when I undergo this pain. So we both agreed that we will not shop for clothes until I could fit into my old dresses.
This Sunday we decided to visit a restaurant with our friends. I just got little greedy and picked up my jeans that I had concealed in my wardrobe (last Summer). I was little skeptical to try it but then I gave it a shot. And to my surprise I fit in to my Size 10 stone washed Calvin Klein jeans after many months. I literally jumped out of joy and got into a mood of dressing up. I picked up my favorite sleeveless kurti and a ear ring to match. When I stood before TH he shouted out of amusement. TH was very happy because I was happy :) But it doesn't end here. Still there is a long way to go to reach my goal weight.
I was not sure if I should post these pics. They were taken in the poor light settings in my kitchen:( So excuse me for these lousy clicks. BTW, Happy Earth Day to all of you. Last year I had posted Palak Tofu Soup on the same day to celebrate this occasion.

How it tasted
I am not a big fan of Asparagus. But I love this vegetable in Usili and Aviyal. Since I don't steam Asparagus it is crunchy like the grilled ones which makes it perfect for usili. This dish makes a protein and fiber rich meal and you can have this during all phases of South Beach Diet. Traditionally Usili is served with White Rice, Sambar or Rasam.

Ingredients
Asparagus - 1 bunch (around 35 no.s) or Beans - 250 gm
Toor Dhal/Thuvaram paruppu - 1 tbsp
Chana Dhal/Kadalai paruppu - 1 tbsp
Red Chili - 2
Hing/Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1/2 tbsp - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds/Kadugu - a big pinch
Cumin Seeds/Jeeragam - a pinch
Broken Urad Dhal/Ulutam paruppu - 1/2 tsp
Chana dhal - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few

Method
    Add Chana Dhal, Toor Dhal in bowl. Wash it thoroughly and soak it for 1 hr. Drain the water.
    In a mixie/blender, add the Dhal, Red Chili, Hing, Salt and grind it to a coarse paste.
    Wash Asparagus thoroughly in running water. Discard the wood like bottom part.
    Chop the asparagus finely just like you will chop Beans for Beans Usili.
    In a skillet add 1 tsp oil. When it is hot add chopped asparagus and fry it until the raw smell disappears.Keep it aside.
    In the same skillet add 2 tsp oil. When it is hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
    Add cumin seeds, chana dhal. When chana dhal starts changing color add urad dhal curry leaves.
    Add the coarse chana dhal toor dhal paste and saute for a while. As you fry it will start disintegrating.
 Add Asparagus, salt and saute until the dhal blends with asparagus (for 3-4 minutes on a medium low flame). Ensure that Asparagus doesn't shrink too much.
    Traditionally Usili is served with Rasam or Sambhar rice.